Hobbies make us intriguing and interesting. They help us forget about work and pursue a passion. They give us life. My dad loved fishing. He’d get out of bed early on Saturday or Sunday and spend the morning on Lake Michigan catching perch or walleye. Because of his fishing passion, my dad was able to spend time with friends and family, be outdoors on beautiful Lake Michigan, and enjoy the excitement of catching some fish.
Hobbies are great for a couple of reasons. Some hobbies allow us to make some money on the side. Some hobbies keep us healthy and in shape. Hobbies can also make us more knowledgeable, interesting, and happy. Make your hobby active rather than passive. I encourage everyone to stop constantly consuming and start producing. Stop watching TV and start creating on a YouTube Channel (don’t worry about sucking). Stop watching others play video games and start a Twitch channel where others can watch you. Stop watching sports and start playing sports. And, if you can earn money with a hobby, try it!
Below are my thoughts on how we all can benefit for a great hobby:
Hobbies that can make you money are awesome. Wouldn’t it be great if you had a hobby that earned you a little extra beer money each month?
I’m a teacher, and over the course of my career I’ve created an absurd amount of classroom content and resources. Early on, I started posting those documents on TeachersPayTeachers, an online marketplace of worksheets and lesson plans. For me, it was enjoyable and stimulating trying to figure out what sells and what doesn’t. Early on, in 2012, I don’t think I earned more than $10 in that entire first year. But it was still fun for me (and free), so I kept going. It’s now September 30, 2019 and I’ve earned over $715 this month (my best month ever!!!). It’s been a blast working on my store and the passive income has been a huge bonus I never would’ve anticipated.
Perhaps you can find a hobby that earns you some extra cash! My online hobby allowed me to quit painting on the side. Maybe your hobby could pay for a little vacation, morph into a fulltime career, or just get you off the couch. Here are some ideas for hobbies that could earn you some cash:
- Drone videos or photography: I have a $250 drone… nothing too fancy. But it’s a fun thing to do on a day that’s warm and not windy. If you have a high quality drone that takes excellent photographs and videos, why not get skilled at it and try to sell your services? You could set up a Facebook business page and try to sell your services to real estate agents. Or, maybe you could create some cool drone footage for a YouTube channel. You may be completely unsuccessful making any money at it, but if you enjoy piloting a drone, why not give it a shot?
- Gardening: I work with a science teacher whose entire backyard is dedicated to growing flowers. He loves to work outdoors in his garden. This year, he sold $10 bouquets at local markets on the weekends. And he did quite well. It was typical for him to make $300 cash on a Saturday morning. Most of that’s profit, since seeds are pretty cheap. He’s excited about this hobby, and he now has a logo, business cards, and a business Instagram page. Check it out here: @ourbackyardblooms. What’s great about this hobby is that it also keeps him active and his wife gets to be creative while arranging the bouquets. It gives them something to do together.
- Art: My wife is a talented painter. She enjoys painting watercolors. One of her first gifts to me was a watercolor painting of a sailboat. Since then she used Facebook Marketplace to sell custom order watercolor paintings. She’s doesn’t sell her creations for too much, but she’s able to paint and make a little money doing it.
Below is a list of other hobbies that could possibility earn you some money. In most all cases, you have to be open with the idea of marketing your ideas and putting yourself out there. Forget what others think and do it! Now, on to the list of moneymaking hobbies!
- Cooking: catering, being a personal chef, cake making, etc. Start taking photos of everything you cook! Then, make a free website using WordPress or just use Instagram to showcase your creations. There’s a local personal chef in my area who seems to do this extremely well. I don’t know her personally, but I’m impressed with her business: @cookingiscaring.
- Do you like going to garage sales? You can flip items you buy at garage sales. Sell on FB marketplace or Craigslist (if that’s still around).
- There’s money to be made at craft shows and flea markets. If you can make interesting crafts, consider selling at craft shows or online (I think it’s pretty hard to make money on Etsy. But it doesn’t hurt to try).
If you don’t have a hobby that could make you some money, try to find a hobby that keeps you in shape. Exercise is mandatory, but going to the gym sucks. So, maybe biking, basketball, kickboxing, or other sports can give you some camaraderie while keeping you relatively fit.
In any case, if you can find a hobby that earns you cash or keeps you fit, you will be a more well-rounded and interesting person. Think about this today: What can I do that will get me off the couch? How can I stop being a “normie”? I look forward to hearing your ideas!