I only recommend a master’s degree in 3 specific cases:
- The company you work for will pay for some or all of it. Take advantage!
- It will lead to a better career (like going from a registered nurse to a nurse practitioner or from a teacher to a principal).
- You want to get one for personal growth / enjoyment and you have more than enough money to pay for it without taking out any loans.
Western Governors University offers master’s degrees in three areas: Education, Business, Nursing, and Technology. Advantages:
- Super affordable (you pay for 6-month terms instead of individual courses). It was the cheapest master’s degree I could find in the United States.
- No fluff- It’s a unique model in which you do assignments and get help from a course mentor IF YOU NEED IT. A team of evaluators grade your work and let you know if any corrections need to be made. When your work is acceptable, you can move on to the next assignment.
- Completely online.
- Weekly calls with a mentor who can help you set goals and answer any questions.